Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What Are You Reading Wednesdays - Las Vegas Edition

Here's my fourth post in my new weekly topic - What Are You Reading Wednesdays! This week instead of covering the usual currently/finished/next questions, I am going to post 3 of my favorites. Since I am in Las Vegas this week at a convention, I will not have time to read anything new. I decided to take one of my favorite books that I've read a million times with me, but I covered that in last week's post, so I am going to give you something fresh today.



First Favorite - The Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher. This is a fabulous series and I have read all of them multiple times. I will give you some info on the first book Storm Front:


Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he’s the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the “everyday” world is actually full of strange and magical things — and most of them don’t play well with humans. That’s where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a — well, whatever.

There’s just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry’s seeing dollar signs. But where there’s black magic, there’s a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry’s name. And that’s when things start to get...interesting.

Magic. It can get a guy killed.

If you have seen the TV series, trust me, the books are way better! I was very disappointed with the TV series, but I started reading the books long before the series came out. I have shared this series with so many friends, and now I am sharing it with you. Give it a try.



Second Favorite - The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. The first book is One for the Money, but I read the 8th book first. I remember sitting on the couch laughing my butt of at that book. Here's a bit about One for the Money:


One for the Money
ONE FINE MESS
Welcome to Trenton, New Jersey, home to wiseguys, average Joes, and Stephanie Plum, who sports a big attitude and even bigger money problems (since losing her job as a lingerie buyer for a department store). Stephanie needs cash-fast-but times are tough, and soon she's forced to turn to the last resort of the truly desperate: family...

ONE FALSE MOVE
Stephanie lands a gig at her sleazy cousin Vinnie's bail bonding company. She's got no experience. But that doesn't matter. As does the fact that the bail jumper in question is local vice cop Joe Morelli. From the time he first looked up her dress to the time he first got into her pants, to the time Steph hit him with her father's Buick, M-o-r-e-l-l-i has spelled t-r-o-u-b-l-e. And now the hot guy is in hot water-wanted for murder...

ONE FOR THE MONEY
Abject poverty is a great motivator for learning new skills, but being trained in the school of hard knocks by people like psycho prizefighter Benito Ramirez isn't. Still, if Stephanie can nab Morelli in a week, she'll make a cool ten grand. All she has to do is become an expert bounty hunter overnight-and keep herself from getting killed before she gets her man...

This series is now on book 18, and though they may be a little fluffy, I just love them. I even have got my parents reading (and loving) them - now they have to buy each new one the day it comes out. Can't you tell I'm from a reading family?



Third Favorite - The Last Herald-Mage Series by Mercedes Lackey. I have read these books over and over again since I was about 14 or 15, and they are still a go-to favorite when I just need something that I truly love. And while I love almost all of Lackey's books, these own a special place in my heart, and in the hearts of several of my friends, as well.

Magic's Pawn (The Last Herald-Mage Book 1)
-


In Magic's Pawn, an ancient age in the history of Valdemar comes to life--an age when the kingdom was ravaged by the ungoverned fury of bandit warlords, ferocious ice dragons, and the wild magic of wizards.

This little blurp barely covers anything about this book at all - tragic love, great epic battles, true friendship, and loss are all within. If you have never read it, please give it a try.


Magic's Promise (The Last Herald-Mage Book 2)



The wild magic is taking its toll on the land, and even Vanyel, the most powerful Herald-Mage to ever walk the world, is almost at the end of his strength. But when his Companion, Yfandes, receives a call for help from neighboring Lineas, both Herald-Mage and Companion are drawn into a holocaust of dark magic that could be the end of them both.



Magic's Price (The Last Herald-Mage Book 3)



Valdemar- the once-peaceful kingdom protected by the magic of its Herald Mages- is now beseigned on all fronts. The king lies near death, the neighboring land of Karse wages a relentless war against Valdemar, and the forces led by a master of dark forbidden magic are massing to stroke the final devastating blow against the kingdom.

And Vanyel, the most powerful Herald-Mage Valdemar has ever known, has become the primary target of the evil which is reaching out to poison all the land. With all his fellow mages slain, Vanyel alone remains to defend his people against the dark master's army. Yet a dream vision has revealed to Vanyel the fate which awaits should he and his Companion Yfandes take up the dark master's challenge. And if either Vanyel or Yfandes falters, the dream will become a horrifying reality in which both Valdemar and its last Herald-Mage must pay the ultimate price....



So this week, to play along, just tell me some of your favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment