Monday, August 8, 2016

Exciting Things Are in the Works!

I know it has been a long time since I posted, but I have exciting news! Later this week, I will be opening a new Etsy shop. I will be selling my recycled/reclaimed/upcycled yarn.

What is recycled/reclaimed/upcycled yarn, you may ask? Well, it is yarn that I have rescued from thrift store sweaters! So I head out to the thrift store (and we have some great thrift stores in my area), buy some sweaters in pretty fibers that are languishing at the thrift, and head home. Then I carefully take apart and unravel each sweater, skein up the yarn on my niddy noddy, wash all the skeins in the tub with a little bit of Dawn dishsoap. The wet skeins then head to the other bathroom to hang in the shower to dry. Once dry, I will photograph and list each new yarn on Etsy.

Why recycled/reclaimed/upcycled yarn? Because it is a great way to give lovely yarn a new life. Items in thrift shops that don't sell are regularly just destroyed or turned into rags. If I can rescue some beautiful yarn and get it to a knitter or crocheter that wants to make it into something lovely, why shouldn't I?



Red is 100% lambswool
Heathered purple is 50% lambswool, 35% modal, 10% nylon and 5% cashmere - this yarn is awesome!
Lavender is 55% raime and 45% cotton
Heathered olive green is 30% wool, 30% acrylic, 16% nylon, 16% rayon and 8% angora

2 comments: